Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We think our 16 year old cat might be dying. He has lost his

Customer Question

We think our 16 year old cat might be dying. He has lost his balance , finds it difficult to stand , his eyesight seems to have gone. One pupil is larger than the other. He is trying to find any hiding space in the house but with difficulty. No attention or purring when we are near to him just lifeless. Very fast heartbeat.
We took him to the vets month ago with symptoms that made it difficult for him to walk or balance. She gave anti inflammatory and there was an improvement but today he has gone downhill fast.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like an answer today. The vets is closed and the emergency vet says it is £171 for a call out. Are we doing the right thing leaving him alone or could it be something that can be cured?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your poor lad.

Based on Bart's signs, I am quite concerned that he is in a precarious situation and that this isn't directly related to what his vet treated before with the anti-inflammatory. If he has showing all of these signs you noted, it is highly suggestive of a brain based issue. At his age, we can see this with an infection, bleed, or mass compressing the brain. Though I have to note that if he has lost his sight, this isn't likely to be something we can restore. So, in regards ***** ***** question, this isn't likely something we can cure nor the underlying cause. It may be possible to manage that but at his age often we find that cures are not possible and giving them relief from suffering has to be our main focus for them.

Please take care,

Dr.B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know this is a difficult question to answer but as it is a Bank Holiday there are no vets open today. They have said we can get an emergency appointment but the consultation alone would cost £171. Is he likely to suffer terribly and should we be considering making an appointment tonight or should we leave him in peace possibly to die tonight?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Now we don't want to be leaving him to die since that isn't fair for Bart. Though if he is breathing comfortably, has pink (not pale/white) gums, and hasn't any pain when you feel his body; then you can choose to monitor him until his vet is open. If you can keep him taking food/water (favorites are allowed, meat baby food -without garlic/onion- or bits of chicken or white fish can be offered) that would be ideal so he isn't starving and dehydrating himself. But otherwise we can give him a calm, quiet place to try to settle and feel secure. He likely feels quite stressed and vulnerable without his sight and without balance. But from what you have reported he is not in a good way but not in a situation of active suffering or distress such that he might euthanasia right now. But again we need to keep a close eye and provide what comfort we can until his vet is open.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You - We will keep an eye on him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr B. Bart passed away in the night in his catbox. We think it was a peaceful end. He was purring and open to cuddles up to yesterday so we are pleased that he did not appear to suffer too much for any period of time. Thanks for your comments yesterday. David
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, David.

I am very sorry to hear that he passed but it's good that he was able to do peacefully and is no longer in distress.

Please take care, my thoughts are with you.

Dr. B