Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Cat has goo coming from eye, has been going on around 2

Cat has green goo coming from eye, has been going on around 2 days. I have been washing out regularly with sterile water. He also has started making croaking noises when he inhales and twitching a lot. Seems more lethargic and is reacting slowly. Although he is 16 so may be his age. Also has lost weight recently, even though he has been eating the same if not more food. He's a turkish van cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Charlie is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he drinking more than usual?

2- Is the discharge in one or both eyes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been drinking more I've noticed, and it's only in the right eye, he does have a tear in the 3rd eyelid on that eye that covers part of his eye constantly but he's had that for a long time now.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you for answering all of my questions.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Charlie is not feeling well, I am sure this must be a little stressful for you. In response to your question, the green color discharge is consistent with an infection in the eye. Flushing the eye with sterile water is a great idea, I would encourage you to continue doing this, but, Charlie should be seen by your family veterinarian for prescription topical antibiotics. My other concern is the weight loss and that he may be drinking more than usual. You see, these symptoms could be related to kidney disease, hormonal disorders (diabetes, hyperthyroidism), and even cancer to name a few causes. It is important that he has a blood test done to rule out most of the above-mentioned diseases. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home without knowing exactly what is wrong with Charlie. For example, if he is hyperthyroid he will be placed on medication to help lower the thyroid levels. In turn, this will help him gain weight. So, treatment for Charlie will be based on exam and test results.

I realize that this answer may not be to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** him booked in asap.