Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 6 year old female burmese cat has a patch of fur missing

my 6 year old female burmese cat has a patch of fur missing without any cuts etc..she seems to be grooming herself more often but otherwise seems well....i have a photo if that helps... should i take her to the vet? any idea what it may be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Lola's bald patch. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

A picture would be helpful. Where on her body is the patch?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi, its on the top of her leg/outer hip area
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

This could be as simple as a wound that is healing, and if that is the case, the hair should grow back in. I can see some new hairs growing in; it is not totally bald.

If she is grooming more, she may be itchy, and may have groomed that spot excessively and caused the baldness by licking the hair off. If she is itchy and excessively grooming, this could be some kind of allergy. Do you use flea products on her?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the pictures, that helps!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she has been given flea treatment within the last few months and i cant see signs of fleas/flea dirt on her...i dont think it was ever a wound as i do check her regularly each week...it almost seems to have happened over night!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

If it happened that quickly, then she may have licked/groomed the hair off. That can happen overnight. If that is the reason, then she may be painful in that particular spot, or she may be overgrooming because she is itchy or allergic. Since you are using flea control, it would not be a flea allergy, but it could be something else in the environment.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok. would an allergy be treatable by a vet? approx how much would it cost if it was an allergy? just a rough guide would helpthx
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome!

You could try giving some Benadryl, 5 to 10 mg twice daily. If that does not help, then a veterinarian might give a cortisone injection. At my clinic, that would cost around $60 for the office call and $20 for the injection.

I would look closely at the area, possibly even get some skin cells to examine under the microscope if I were able to see and examine her.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the good rating and bonus!