Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My kitten was bitten by another cat on the cheek. There is

Customer Question

My kitten was bitten by another cat on the cheek. There is an open wound ans I have kept it clean. It has a scab but the kitten scratchers made it bleed. I made a collar and put around her neck. As soon as I took it off she has scratched it and made.it bleed
Need help ans advice
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Laviza. When a kitten is bitten, bacteria are injected underneath the skin by the teeth of another cat. Cellulitis - inflammation of the skin - develops followed by abscessation which is evidenced by the presence of pus. Once the abscess progresses, it weakens the overlying skin to the point that the skin ruptures releasing the pus. The open wound indicates that that has already occurred. In some cases simply irrigating the open wound thoroughly with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine (Hebiclens in your local druggist) at this time will suffice to allow the abscess to heal. It needs to stay open and drain and so I don't mind if my patient scratches at the area - within reason. If my patient continues to excoriate the area, I need to consider that flushing the abscess wasn't enough of a treatment. Instead, I need to open the wound further, debride it - remove devitalized tissue surgically - initiate a systemic antibiotic instead of depending upon topical therapy - and either leave the wound open to continue draining and eventually contract closed - this is called secondary healing - or install a drain which will keep the wound open and draining. The drain is then removed once drainage has stopped - usually 3-5 days.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I closed your new post so you wouldn't be charged twice. Please stay in the conversation. Ointments aren't helpful and should never be placed under the skin. Instead, purchase the chlorhexidine I mentioned above and flood the open wound with it once daily. See if you can get under the skin with an eyedropper full of the chlorhexidine. Please continue our conversation if you wish.