Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat is currently having an asthma attack. She is

Customer Question

My cat is currently having an asthma attack. She is breathing really fast, not moving from her crouched position, and dribbling. I have prednicare tablets 5mg that I could give her but I don't know if I should. She really doesn't like taking pills and its garunteed she will panic a lot if I try to force feed them to her. What should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Coco. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help; my name is Rebecca.

If you can get 5 mg of prednisone into her I would.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Prednicare (prednisolone) I meant.

Are her gums pink in color, or pale?

Can she breathe with her mouth closed or is she panting to breathe?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

She may need an injection of prednisolone, or possibly even oxygen if her gums are pale or blue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Rebecca. Thanks for helping. As far as i could see her gums were pale but not blue. But that could just be her saliva. Im scared to cause her to panic more by forcing her to take a pill because of her rapid breathing. Also I dont have any oxygen kits or anything to inject her with.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also she has her mouth slightly open but it sounds like shes breathing from her nose. It looks like its only open to let her dribble out her saliva.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Can you crush the pred and give it in some spray cheese or peanut butter or honey and rub it inside her mouth?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Ive just done that with some cheese. I dont know if she got all of it though. Is there anything else I could do to calm her or anything?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Just keep her quiet, and as stress free as possible now that she has gotten some prednisolone.

Please let me know how she is doing. If this was helpful, kindly consider rating my answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks so much for your help!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome! Thank you for the great rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Coco is doing a lot better! We took her to the vets this morning and they gave her some steroids. Thank you again for your advice last night!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update. You must be so relieved she is better.