Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Our cat stopped eaiting some weeks ago. A series of

Our cat stopped eaiting some weeks ago. A series of injections by the vets led to improvement but she was stressed for a while and her behaviour changed. Now she's much more like herself but eats very little. We vary her food and she approaches it eagerly but after just a nibble strolls away.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Ellie is not eating. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my bst to help. I just came online and saw you question. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

It will help to know what the injections were that she got. We're any blood tests done to try to find out if there is a reason for her not eating?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Is she losing weight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The vet suspected hepatitis and the injections were to protect her liver. They did blood tests and didn't find hepatitis. She's lost weight since she was her heaviest - between 3 and 4kg. When they last weighed her she was 3.19kg. She seems not to be losing weight now which puzzles me as she's eating only a mouthful of food a day. At her best she races around. She's too weak to do that now but manages a brisk trot when she comes towards me. Her eyes are bright and her fur is sleek.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

It would help to know what the injections were if you know.

When a cat won't eat it means that they are ill or painful. It would help me to see her blood tests and to know what was and was not tested for. She may have pancreatitis, which has to be specifically tested for. If blood tests are normal, my next step is to to Xrays or an abdominal ultrasound.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

You could try appetite stimulants such as B12 injections, cyproheptadine, or mirtazapine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ellie's medication:tricat/fevcourse injection 23 Oct 15 and 13 Nov 15
metacam 17 Aug 16
concenia 24 Aug 16
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that;s convenia not conceniaI hope now you have the names of the medication you have more to go on
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Convenia is an antibiotic that lasts 14 days. Metacam is an anti inflammatory that also is good if she has a feve, but it only lasts 1 or 2 days.

Unfortunately, Metacam can be harmful to some cats kidneys, so if a cat got Metacam and the is not eating well, I always do blood tests to check kidney function. Were the blood tests done after she got this injection?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the blood tests were done after the injection. Please advise. Do you think we should take Ellie back to the vet? If she doesn't eat she'll die.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.
if she is not eating I would take her back. She is telling us that she is ill, she does not feel good, and if she were mine I would keep looking until I found the problem.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.
Was she tested for pancreatitis? I would check for that and if her liver, kidney and pancreas tests are normal, an ultrasound would be my next step. You could ask for the appetite stimulants I mentioned as well.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you're right. Poor little Ellie isn't eating but she shows us a huge amount of affection which shows she trusts us. We must take her back to the vet. If we don't she'll die, won't she?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.
If she goes too long with eating she could die. If she is drinking, and stayIng hydrated, it would take a long time for her to starve. If she will drink, try offering broth to get some nutrients into her.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've kept kidding myself she's OK but if she doesn't eat she's in danger of dying. The last time she saw the vet he was upbeat and said all the checks showed she was well. But now she isn't. She sometimes has a drink of water but this has all gone on for too long. Have you any idea what the problem is? I feel that you've advised as much as you can. We have to take her back to the vet.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I would need to examine her myself, and look at blood tests to start to figure out what is causing her not to eat. Taking her to your veterinarian is your best next step.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She hates going to the vet but the alternative is to watch her die. I suppose I knew that all along but you've helped me see her plight as it is, not as I wish it was. Thank you. You've done all you could and I'll give you the top rating.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the great rating. Please let me know how she is doing.