Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 20 year old cat has de veloped diarrhea over the last few

Customer Question

my 20 year old cat has de veloped diarrhea over the last few days. No other symptons. Is there anything I can him to stop this?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does it look like? Any blood?

When was he last wormed?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no
not sure
pink no discomfort
not moist or sticky
only goes out in garden so nothing eaten that he shouldntno discomfort
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
phone should read 01424 442384
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see diarrhea in the elderly cat for a range of reasons. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, IBD, parasites/protozoa infections, gut based cancers, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely here).

With this in mind, we can initiate some supportive care for your lad. To start, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, meat baby food (garlic/onion free), or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin or 0.25tsp Benefibre mixed in a bit of canned food) to bulk up these stools.

As well, if he hasn't been wormed in the past month then it is worth doing so now. Ideally, you will want to use Fenbendazole (Panacur) from your vet to counter worms but also some of out protozoal concerns. Your vet should be willing to dispense this for you before a visit, but you may need to have a free nurse weight check to ensure the right dose is sent home.

Finally, as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Avoid Imodium or Pepto Bismol as these aren't cat safe. This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, ensure no sinister lumps, bumps, or viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable antibiotics, fluids, and symptomatic care to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Inyeresting reply will reread and follow advice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Please do and hopefully we can reduce his signs with the above.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have given Triss very small amounts of chicken - often and it has cleared up. Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome & thank you for the update, my dear.

I am glad to hear that he has settled and feeling better. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )