Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Salkin only again! Chumley's urine is staying fairly psle

Customer Question

For Dr.Michael Salkin only
Hi,again! Chumley's urine is staying fairly psle and dilute,although it got darker for a couple of days. Is that ok? I still worry about too much fluids.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Dilute urine will be the norm now. Darker urine is more concentrated as we expect in normal cats but in Chumley's case indicates dehydration. Fluids are the most important part of Chumley's therapy. Watch for an increased respiratory rate - greater than 30 breaths/minute - which would indicate overdoing the fluids.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Thank you once again, Alice.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You're welcome. Is it possible that either too much or not enough fluids could make him appear"stunned " in that he'll sit and stare and ignore his food?
Can the fluids make him light sensitive? He squints now if he looks into the light,and this is a new behaviour.That is, because the eyeballs are noticeably bigger?

If he's becoming progressively more uremic, he can demonstrate a change in mentation (mental status) which would manifest as appearing "stunned". More fluids rather than less might be helpful in that case but there reaches a point where no amount of fluids will help. The blehperospasm (squinting) you're seeing isn't related to fluid administration. Perhaps his head hurts - once again, due to progressive uremia.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had tried him on 60-70ml/day for a few days, but I started to increase them again, but divided up into 2 sessions. He was starting to throw up again and go off his food.

Those are additional symptoms of worsening uremia.