Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I just discivered that my cat got a wound on his back leg.

I just discivered that my cat got a wound on his back leg. 50 pence sized area with no hair. A bit of blood but not anymore. He also does not seem to be limping. I cleaned it with an antibac soap and water solution. He keeps licking it - i got pics on the phone if needed. Any advice how to proceed?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he mainly outdoors?

3- What is the name or active ingredient of the antibiotic soap?

4- You can upload the picture through the "add on" button next to your reply button.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks a lot. Do you want me to add pictures as attachement?

Yes, you can do this via the add on button next to your reply button.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Trying to send a close up
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As additional info, he is undercanti flea treatment which were diagnosed with him yesterday

Thank you for the pictures.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he strictly indoors?

3- Is the tissue raised in the wound?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. Discovered this about 1.5 hors ago
2. Indoor only - had escaped last week for 6 days but did not have this wound then
3. Not sure i uderstand the question. Skin tissue seens folded and a sublayer is visible

In the picture the skin appears to be raised instead of an orifice or hole as normally seen in a wound, is this correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Looks more like the upper skin is open and the layer below is visible. There is a clear border round the open part which is higher

Thank you for the additional picture, much better. I got it.

1- What is the name or active ingredient of the antibiotic of the topical antibiotic you are using?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Endectrid cat pipette is what we use

Is that what you are using on the wound?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ah no. For the wound i just used antibacterial soap. One secon. The thing above we used against the fleas
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For the wound i used 500 ml water and 4 drops of carex anti bacterial soap

Thank you for answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dipped some kitchen roll into it and hold it onto the wound for aprox 30 seconds
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sure

Friend, I was concern that what you are seeing as a wound could be an ulcerated tumor. But, in the last picture it appears to be the underlying muscle that it is exposed. In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian for a closer examination of the wound. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy these over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter