Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

6 year old outdoor cat not eating for 1 day every week. It

6 year old outdoor cat not eating for 1 day every week. It has been going on over 2 months now and he just goes back to normal the day after. When not eating he drinks a lot more water and is a bit more slow and sombre. No signs of vomitting.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now if it is only one day of the week, he has no vomiting, and he isn't losing weight, then we'd not be overly worried about this habit of Paco's. A hairball could be a trigger for this but so could dietary indiscretion if he is a keen hunter. And that would be my suspicion if he does tend to be a bit slower those days (especially since eating wildlife whole can take a lot of more digestion then is needed with the average cat food).

In regards ***** ***** the diet you were advised is fine but you may find offering a cat hairball paste/gel could be better if he is passing bones or fur from things he has caught. Otherwise, you could try him with an OTC pet safe antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Alnd if this just gets his stomach settled, we may find him more keen to eat sooner.

As well, it can help to just offer a light diet (ie boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) on those "off" days. There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.So, you could try those on these days where he isn't feeling up to eating his usual cat food.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )