Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat has a wound on his paw which looks like it is healing

My cat has a wound on his paw which looks like it is healing but also may be infected. His paw was swollen as well but i think it's gone down. There is little prospect of me getting him to a vet as he's too skittish to get into a carrier. I have a photograph of it and would like some advice as to whether there is anything I can do.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached the photo
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer. I am a veterinarian, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now; I just came online and saw your question.

It does look like it is healing to me. If the swelling has gone down and he is walking on the foot and not limping, it is probably going to heal on its own. Cats are pretty good at healing. If this were infected, it would be swollen, painful, and he might be limping on it.

You can train him to get into a carrier. All cats should learn this, in case of an emergency. Get the carrier, take the door off if you can or leave it open, and put a bed and some food in it, and just leave it in your house. The best place to leave it would be a place he likes to sleep or hang out. He will be afraid of it at first, but if there is food inside, and it does not move, he will be in and out of it in a few days or so.

Let me know if this helps, and if I can answer any other of your questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's really helpful, thank you :)
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome! Thanks for the great rating.