Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Again. The patch seems to have darkened since I noticed it

Customer Question

Hi,again. The gray patch seems to have darkened since I noticed it on Monday and the darker area taken on an S shape. Today it seems to have changed again, and is a little more diffuse. Anything going on here? Thanks.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Sorry for the delay. I'm visiting relatives in North Carolina. To determine if the pigmentary change is significant I would have to skin scrape looking for the rare Demodex mange mite, and culture looking for bacterial (Staph, mainly) or fungal infection (unlikely in a purely indoor cat). More likely, the pigment represents a benign idiopathic (unknown cause) change at Chumley's age.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More pictures for comparison. I had him to the vet about 10 days ago,where he got a shot of Convenia for a possible mild bronchitis. One of the vet techs combed him a bit in that area,and I wonder if he picked up something then?
Will the Convenia take care of it? Is it self- limiting? Thanks.

The Convenia is ideal for a Staph infection and one injection might suffice. What I can't know, however, is if the hyperpigmentation represents a Staph infection. If he were shaved and you saw roughly circular lesions (epidermal collarettes), a Staph infection would be most likely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You'd wonder how it would get started with Convenia in his system.No other spots right now without trimming him. (Don't know if I want to play "shave the cat".)

I agree. A Staph infection is likely with that type of antibiotic inside him.