Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a black female cat she keeps scratching her back end

Customer Question

I have a black female cat she keeps scratching her back end she is bauld at bottom end i have flead and wormed her
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now I am glad to see that you have treated Precious. Though if she is still itching and there are no fleas in site (some products are better than others), then she may have a left over allergy response to those fleas. In that case, the flea treatments won't cover that and we'd need to consider possibly trialling her on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton (Chlorphenamine). A low dose of 2-4 milligrams every 12 hours can just be enough to reduce that irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if she keeps scratching despite this, then we'd want her vet to assess her skin and start a long acting steroid injection to nip that irritation in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )