Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our 15 year old cat has a very bloated stomach which is

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam, Our 15 year old cat has a very bloated stomach which is bulbous. He still has his appetite, he likes his food three times a day, looks good and does not look in anyway concerned. His coat is excellent. He is too thin in all areas apart from the rather large stomach. I gave him a couple of worming tablets in the hope it was constipation, but nothing has happened. Sorry to be crude but he looks like he needs to pass wind, big time. He is an out door and much loved moggie.
Andrew
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, Andrew. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Does his belly feel firm, fluidy or hard?

Any straining to pass feces or urine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Dr B,
He has been like this for a couple ion weeks. His gums seem fine and he does not have any issues eating, so I guess his teeth and gums are fine. His stomach feels firm, but when I press it he does not object. Its like a balloon, full of air. As for the other end, I am afraid he is an out door chap and we seldom see what he gets up to, though I must confess I have not seen him "going" recently.
Andrew
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lad.

If he had been just constipation, we'd expect to see straining like he needs to pass stool before we saw any bloating. Plus the weight loss over his spine wouldn't be present. Instead, if we have a firm non-painful belly and is thin otherwise, this raises real concerns of a possible enlarged organ (ie liver, GI thickening, etc) or a mass. If the belly had been softer like a water balloon, then we'd be more concerned about fluid build up from heart disease, liver disease, or bleeding.

With this in mind, you could rule out constipation for your peace of mind by treating him with OTC cat hairball treatment +/- canned pumpkin mixed into his food. This and an OTC feline probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac, etc) would also address gas as well. Though with my concerns for him, we'd want to also consider having his vet palpate and/or ultrasound his abdomen. That way we can pinpoint which of these issues are present and start treating accordingly for him before he can start to feel unwell with this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. This is most helpful, he has an overactive thyroid though it does not seem to worry him. I am afraid that presently I am unemployed and much though we all love him, me especially, I cannot afford long treatment. I will try the dietary way first and hopefully get him well again, though looking at him, you would not know he was ill in any way. Thank you. You have been most helpful and thoughtful. Personally I think he needs a good f..t. And hope this does not offend. Thank you Andrew
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome, Andrew.

No offense taken and again probiotics and using the above steps for keeping him fecally regular would help with gas. Though again they don't tend to get bloated from gas unless they have a gut blockage (but then we'd be seeing signs of that). Furthermore, I do have to note that if he does have thyroid issues, then this could be secondary to that as well ( since we do see secondary heart issues with thyroid disease).

Finally, I appreciate you cannot afford long term treatment, but do want to note that if you are on benefits (ie council tax or housing ones) then he'd be eligible to be seen at the PDSA. And even that wasn't an option, you can ring RSPCA (HERE) as they do have hospitals that offer subsidized care or their branches may be able to help you here as well.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you from me, his many friends and family and most importantly Tomkins. (Though I am sure the rats and mice of Oxfordshire will be glad to see the back of him!!)
Andrew
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr .B.

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for all your concern. Very sadly Tom will be put down tomorrow. It is far worse than we thought. He is now in pain.Many thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Poor lad,

I am so sorry to hear that he was more severe then we had hoped, but if he is in pain then giving him peace is the kindest thing we can do for him (something we cannot even do for suffering people).

Please take care,

Dr. B.