Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat had her booster injection yesterday and also had a

Customer Question

My cat had her booster injection yesterday and also had a wormer treatment. She went out for a couple of hours last night and when she came back her she was very unsteady on her back legs. Over night she has pulled her hair out where the worming treatment was distributed and now has a bald patch. She seems quite distressed and is even more unsteady on her back legs. Would this be a side affect of the wormer or booster?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Neither of the treatments she has had would be expected to cause these signs. They are most suspicious of a possible trauma, spinal or clot issue. Therefore, if she is unsteady and showing signs of distress and discomfort, then we'd want to have her seen right away by her vet. She may need to be started on anti-inflammatories and pain relief to counter this for her.

Finally, I would note that some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get in today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find one local to you via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get this checked out sooner then there are options to be seen today.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )