Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a 9 year old female cat. She has been on antibiotics

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old female cat. She has been on antibiotics for two weeks due to an infection in her tail caused by a bite from a dog. Since yesterday she has become very quiet and lethargic, won't eat or drink and is very subdued. My vet is open at 8am
Tomorrow but I'm really worried about her.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

After two weeks, I would expect the infection to be entirely resolved and she should be doing great. So, if the infection/wound is still present this may suggest that if this is bacterial (not fungal or an atypical infection) that it is resistant to the current medication and a medication adjustment is needed. A culture/sensitivity panel as performed by your vet is indicated to know exactly what bacteria is present and to find out what antibiotic will work to cure this. This does often happen with bites because mouths house amongst the worst, most resistant, bacteria.

Being lethargic as you noted we do need to determine if she is in a critical situation such that you cannot wait until tomorrow. I do not know if the lethargy you note today is related to the previous infection. IF she is so profoundly lethargic you cannot rouse her or she will not even get up to eat/drink or use her box, then this would be a sign to have her seen today. AS well if she has moderate vomiting, diarrhea or any difficulty breathing then you should have her examined today.

If she is quiet but rousable and have none of these severe symptoms, then you could safely monitor until tomorrow and then have her seen first thing. I always recommend err on the side of safety; so if you are quite concerned, then please have her seen on emergency today.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thanks so much for your quick response. She is rousable and we haven't seen any vomiting etc. She is just quiet and won't eat or drink. She can walk but isn't her usual happy self.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like she is certainly not feeling well but not in a critical/emergency situation. I think you could safely monitor her until tomorrow. IF she is allowed outdoors, please keep her inside to monitor her. And, keep her food and water nearby.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much you've been a great help! Have a good day ��
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I just wanted to update you on Marigold. Sadly we lost her on Tuesday evening. It turned out she had cancer in her spleen and her leg and she was bleeding internally. She was deteriorating quickly so we made the decision to put her to sleep. Although we are devastated I know we made the right decision and she is in a better place now. We are having her cremated so we can bring her ashes home to sprinkle in the garden. Thanks agin for your help on Sunday I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

I am so very sad to hear about her. Sounds as if you made the best decision possible for her. Please know my thoughts are with you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks so much you're very kind x