Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat vomitted has been very quiet and has not eaten for 2

Customer Question

My cat vomitted has been very quiet and has not eaten for 2 days now. He also vomitted 4x for the past couple of days. The vomit is greenish like bile. He also refuses to eat. I offered him water and cat milk which he drank a bit. Please help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Pumbaa. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me the color of his gums?

2. Is he urinating? If you're not sure, does he seem uncomfortable when you feel his belly in between his legs?

3. Has he been vomiting food or anything else other than the green bile?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His gums are not that pale. i am not sure if he urinated but when i tried to assess his belly he was really upset. He appears to be bloated. He did vomit food on the 1st day. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be is acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is fine thank you. I don't mind typing.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

I'm glad that this venue will be acceptable to you.

Thanks for the answers to my questions; please give me a few minutes to type up a response back to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Gum color should be pale pink which it sounds as if his probably are.

I'm a little concerned if he hasn't urinated and if he's uncomfortable when you press on his abdomen. Male cats can become blocked and this would be considered a medical emergency. The longer these cats are unable to urinate, then toxins can build up in the bloodstream to the point that this condition can be fatal, unfortunately.

Their kidneys can be permanently damaged as well.

Many of these cats will become lethargic, won't eat and will also vomit. Of course, vomiting bile can also be secondary to an empty stomach so I don't want to over interpret this particular symptom.

In general, I don't worry too much when a cat vomits since it's fairly easy to trigger this reflex in this species; however, when other signs are present, such as in this case, then there may be something else going on.

In addition to a urinary blockage, other possibilities for a cat this age include pancreatitis or a foreign body or viral/bacterial infections.

If there's the slightest possibility that he might be blocked, I wouldn't wait to have him seen if you have an ER hospital in your area. I can provide otc medications which may help reduce his nausea but he'll need veterinary intervention if he's actually obstructed.

I'm sorry that I can't be more positive in my response back to you but this has the potential to be something fairly serious for him:( Deb

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help. He does have a habit of eating plastic. I was also thinking he might have pancreatitis or bowel obstruction. He is really not his usual self. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

You're more than welcome.

Intestinal blockages are typically more commonly seen in dogs but cats can become obstructed too....they're just usually too smart to let this happen!

In general, I'm not too worried when a cat presents with these symptoms but there's something about him that makes me think more may be going on...especially if he likes to eat plastic and hasn't urinated that you know about.

I hope you'll keep me posted about him; I'd very much like to know what happens. Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can continue to communicate about this issue at no additional charge to you.

I'll be sending positive thoughts his way that this isn't too serious. Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much for all your help.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with him. Deb

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr M. Deb, I just have a final question if you don't mind? Will he need surgery if there is an obstruction?Or what tests would be performed?Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

No worries about the additional questions although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you responded back.

If there's a urinary obstruction, these cats are usually sedated so that a catheter can be passed to relieve the obstruction.

It's generally pretty clear when this is the problem because a physical exam will detect an overly large, painful bladder.

Diagnosing a gastrointestinal obstruction is sometimes not as clear cut but these cats will typically require surgery.

Depending on the vet, bloodwork may be suggested and/or an x-ray for either problem may be advised. Deb

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr. Deb,
We brought Pumbaa to the vet. They assessed him and he has no obstruction. Blood tests were done and xray as well but no abnormalities noted except increased protein. He is dehydrated so he is now staying there overnight for observationand is being hydrated via iv infusion. Thank you for your help. We are still very worried as they could not find what was wrong with him.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Thanks so much for taking the time to send me an update about Pumbaa. Obviously, that's a very good thing that he wasn't obstructed but clearly frustrating that no specific explanation was found for his behavior.

Even though all of his blood tests were normal, I still wouldn't rule out pancreatitis since this can often be a challenging disease to diagnose. Although we have new tests specific for pancreatitis, I've come to question their reliability for all patients.

Hopefully, the fluids and whatever else they may be treating him with will be sufficient for significant improvement to be seen.

Continued best wishes being sent his way. Deb