Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cats been hit by a car, she survived and is purring and

My cats been hit by a car, she survived and is purring and acting relatively normally but it obviously hit her in the head as she can't open one eye and it took her collar off completely - I can't take her to the vet as there's not one open at the moment but I'm worried she might die in the night if she has some sort of internal injury, is there anything I can do to figure out whether or not she's okay?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Cookie. The prognosis for head trauma patients is notoriously difficult to assess. You're necessarily constrained to assessing Cookie's vital signs and hoping they reflect her prognosis accurately.

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate. She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. May I have an update on Cookie, please?