Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I recently got a new kitten and my 2 cats have been hissing

I recently got a new kitten and my 2 cats have been hissing and meowing at her a lot. After a couple of days I noticed one of my cats had lost her meow and was gagging every now and then when swallowing, a further 2 days later my other cat was showing similiar signs. Do I need to take them to the vets or will this problem get better on its own? There are no other symptoms and they are both eating as normal.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So basically, both, Rosie and Millie are losing their voice, correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rosie has lost her voice completely Millie still has her voice

I am sorry that Millie and Rosie are having this problem. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Laura, what you are describing is consistent with laryngitis. This is very similar to us when we yell in a sporting event or concert and we loose our voice for several days. In this case, your cats may have been meowing/hissing a little too much at the kitten. Usually, with rest of the vocal cords, it will restore the voice within 1-2 weeks. It is also important to remember that there could be an underlying medical disorder like laryngeal paralysis, tumors of the larynx, infections, etc. However, with a history of a new kitten and happening in two cats I am very inclined to believe this is related to hissing at the kitten.

I would recommend you do your best placing them in an area where they are not meowing or hissing for the next week or so. If no improvement within the next couple of weeks I would have them examined by the family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If you notice any other symptoms develop like a nasal discharge, anorexia, lethargy, etc. then have them checked immediately. Otherwise, I would separate them from the kitten to give their vocal cords time to rest.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's great thank you. I have already separated them from the kitten. Is there anything else I can do for their sore throats that might help?

There is really nothing over the counter that you can give them that will any significant therapeutic benefit, just need time and rest. I am sorry.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would a vet be able to do anything or is it purely just rest they need?

If this was caused by an underlying medical problem then you would treat the primary cause. For example, if they have an infection they would start the patient on antibiotics. But, in this case I believe rest is the way to go to rest the vocal cords.

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help I will leave a rating :)