Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat has come home tonight with a small cut near his tail.

My cat has come home tonight with a small cut near his tail. it does not seem to be bleeding, and he is walking as normal. I only noticed it when he jumped on the bed and miowed as if in pain and spat wen he laid down. I have bathed it with salt water, but he would not let me handle him to have a good look at the wound. what should I do. will he bee ok for tonight?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Jackie,

Hopefully this is something very minor for Oscar but I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This does not sound like an emergency of any sort. If this is only a small wound and is not bleeding then I doubt if you will experience any immediate problems. Bathing it twice a day with luke warm salt water is the right thing to do and then have your vet take a look sometime over the next two or three days. I normally give an antibiotic shot to cats in this sort of position just to pre-empt any infection but warm salt water twice a day is also very good in that regard.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Oscar's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the advice. I'll keep bathing it and keep an eye on how it goes. Oscar has gone to sleep now and isn't in distress.

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott