Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have cat, tibby, who is 18years old - she has started to

Customer Question

Hi I have cat, tibby, who is 18years old - she has started to drink quite a lot of water and for the last couple of months has been showing signs of weakness in her back legs. She has not been able to climb on the chair for a few weeks but disappeared apart from that to be quite relaxed, following a daily routine of sleeping eating, going out for 10mins and climbing the stair in an evening to sleep. Yesterday she deteriorated considerably, she is finding it difficult to walk and is obviously in some pain now with one of her front legs. We are petty sure she is diabetic from reading up on the subject. Considering her age I do not want to put her through the trauma of a visit to the vet and after careful thought and not wanting her to be suffering I am thinking that I should have the vet put her to rest at home. I would appreciate your view?.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been drinking more?

Is she passing more urine or watery urine?

Any weight loss or appetite loss?

Does her breath smell fruity (like pear drops)?

Do you think she is having more bad days then good?