Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I've just moved house, so cat is not going out much. She's

I've just moved house, so cat is not going out much. She's sneezing, fur is sticky, she smells and eyes a little watery. Appears to be eating, drinking and going to the toilet normally. Can anyone offer some advice?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Colin, the most common cause of Cleo's sneezing and epiphora (watery eyes) is infection by the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). Most cats are carriers of this virus which can come out of its carrier state in times of stress - such as moving house. Thankfully, most cats remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks and so I rarely treat them. When symptoms persist longer than 3 weeks or my patient worsens instead of improves over that time frame, I consider administering an antiviral drug such as famciclovir.

Sticky fur indicates lack of grooming which is consistent in any cat under the weather. I must assume that her odor is also due to her not cleaning herself as she does when well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.