Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We have a rescue female MaineCoon who is 5 years old (Abra)

Hi we have a rescue female MaineCoon who is 5 years old (Abra) and has been spayed early in the summer. 2 months ago we introduced a male kitten (Monroe) and the relationship seems to be a good one. The Maine Coon has been behaving a little bit differently and we put it down to a. having to share the attention and b. the little one s a ball of energy and sometimes he must tire her out. He is 4 months 10 days old and he's been with us for 2 months and this morning we found him nursing from the maine coon. He was purring loudly and she was giving him a wash. We feed him kitten dry and wet food plus boild chicken/ turkey every day so he shouldnt be hungry. I'm concerned for both cats how will this affect Abra's health, is Monroe hungry? Should we stop this? if yes how?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.In regards ***** ***** question, this isn't a hunger sign as much as a comfort behaviour. Some young cats will nurse other cats or items in the household when seeking comfort. And as long as he isn't breaking her skin, causing her discomfort, and she is grooming him (a sign that she isn't bothered and actually accepting him) then we don't need to intervene. Often they will outgrow this buy from what you are reporting they have accepted one another as pretty much family.Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will this induce lactation and will effect the maine coons health?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

No, it won't induce lactation if she has been spayed and it will cause her no harm unless he is causing sores from doing this too often. If he does cause her skin irritation, then she may need space from him or to wear a tshirt to break him of the habit.

All the best,

Dr. B
------------------------------------