Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

The other day my cat had a little thing in her tail, she did

Hi, the other day my cat had a little white thing in her tail, she did get a little funny when i pulled her tail up to wipe it off, i thought it may have been something she had rolled around in as it looked rubbery like part of a flower. But earlier today she vomited - i thought she ate her food too fast but is also the first time i've ever seen her do so. As she brushed past my finger a little while ago this white thing just bigger than a grain of rice came off, i thought it was moving but my hands are shaky. Looking on my bed there seemed something similar that was dry and a brownish colour though. Does this mean she has worms and will i need to take her to see the vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It sounds very much like you are seeing tapeworm segments. They get tapeworms from eating fleas off themselves. It isn't an emergency, but I would get her to your vet next week to confirm that and get medication for tapeworms. I would also make sure that she is on a flea preventative as well. Even if you aren't seeing any, she is getting some on her. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.