Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Cat not eating for 1 day every week. For this day he doesn't

Customer Question

Cat not eating for 1 day every week. For this day he doesn't move much and just sits still and looks a bit depressed. He tends to drink more.
After the 24 hours he seems to return back to normal. But has been going on for 3-4 months now. Sometimes he vomits but it's just white spit.I asked question previously and they suggested he might be hunting. Which might have been the case over the summer but its definitely not the case now.I've also been to vet who thought he might have a food intolerance but I've changed his dry and wet food and this hasn't helped either.I'm wondering if its hair balls but I rarely hear him trying to cough them up, but he does go outside so I may not be seeing/hearing it if he does.Please could you share your thoughts and offer any advice?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Paco. Do you feel that the 1 day he's not eating is also the day that he vomits? Is he vomiting on the days that he's eating well? Is he losing weight?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when I see him vomit it's also the day he doesn't eat.
He has lost a little bit of weight but nothing noticeable. He's still a healthy weight.

To put things in perspective here, the days he's not eating is most likely tied into why he's having the random vomits. The fact that he's vomiting randomly means his stomach is upset and due to that he's not wanting to eat till it settle down. It isn't surprising that after a vomit, he's not having a good appetite. Why then is he having the random vomits? It could still be a food intolerance. You may just not have found the food that agrees with him the best. Sometimes this can take a couple different dietary food trials to find the diet that is best for him. This would be a very simple thing to continue to explore. You could try another brand of food's dietary sensitive diet and give that a month or so to see how it helps. Could the random vomits be due to him finding something outside and eating it? Plants growing outside are honestly the most common reason for the random vomits when a cat gets outside. I can count it like clockwork when my older female slips outside due to one of the kids leaving a screen door open. She runs out, eats some grass (why??? who knows) and then about 2 hours later, she'll start to feel punky and vomit and then turn around in about 8 hours.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks.And hairballs wouldn't cause these symptoms?

Hair balls could also do something similar too. What you could do to maybe help eliminate that from the equation if it is an issue is to brush him every couple days. Brushing him on a regular basis will drastically reduce the fur ingested that could coalesce into a hair ball.