Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am looking to adopt a cat and had found a wonderful 1yr

Customer Question

I am looking to adopt a cat and had found a wonderful 1yr 8mth Scottish Fold.
I wanted a heathy cat because of vet bills and extra care but her recent health check says she has gingivitis. The vet also said this is worrying for a young cat and it could be a virus such as FIV.
I will not be able to know what the issue is before taking her, is it a bad idea getting her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Unfortunately, this situation with Bella is a gamble. FIV and FeLV can cause gingivitis as the vet noted. Though I would say that to see gingivitis in a young purebred cat is most suspicious of feline calicivirus. This is a very common virus spread through breeding households and while some cats live with this without issue, others need long term treatment (antibiotics, kitty safe pain relief, antiviral medication) and some even need full mouth dental extractions due to severe uncontrolled gingivitis.

Therefore, it is possible you could take her with any of these issues and she'd be fine, but there is real risk of future vet care being required. And I have to warn you that if this has been found prior to you adopting her, insurance companies will likely exclude any oral/dental issues and you would need to pay out of pocket. So, if you are trying to avoid the risk of future vet costs for this condition, Bella may not be the ideal cat for you to adopt.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )