Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has taken to doing something that seems to be

Customer Question

My cat has taken to doing something that seems to be 'marking', but the urine dribble looks to have traces of blood on it and is on carrier bags. He doesn't use a litter tray, so not sure about his regular toilet habits. We have had other cats in the house, it doesn't seem to be every day.
Otherwise he is okay in himself - eating, drinking normally.
Do we need to take him to vet, or is this normal behaviour?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The cat is 4 years old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

Now we can see inappropriate urination in cats for a range of reasons, though if Bullet is passing traces of blood then a health issue as opposed to a behavioural one is suspect here. It raises worries of a bladder infection but also a possible urine crystal issue (which can make him high risk for an emergency urinary blockage) or bladder stone. Therefore, in this case, you do want to have him seen at this point or at least collect a urine sample for analysis. That way we can get to the root of what is causing him discomfort (and likely triggering the marking behaviour) so that we can address this for him and nip it in the bud before it can make him unwell.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )