Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat is a female and 17 years old, she has been diagnosed

Customer Question

My cat is a female and 17 years old , she has been diagnosed with an over active thyroid , to which she was given tablets. But for the last couple of days she has lost her appetite and started eating her cat litter. I read this could be a lack of nutrients . Could you recommend something we could give her.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your are worried about Pebbles. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Eating litter can be a sign of anemia (low red blood cell counts) which in turn can be caused by many things: infection, cancer, fleas, certain diseases, and bone marrow dysfunction. It can also be a sign of liver disease, neurologic disease, or pancreatitis.

The best thing would be to have her checked out; it is hard to know the best treatment until you know the cause of her lost appetite, and eating the cat litter. Not eating can be a side effect of the thyroid medication; has she had a blood test since starting on it to be sure she is getting the right dose, not too much or too little?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is Pebbles doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful! If you have more questions, please ask.