Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My cat has a swelling on the side of their face, it appeared

Hi, my cat has a swelling on the side of their face, it appeared maybe 3 days ago but tonight I've noticed the fur/skin looks like a wound. I'm sure it is an abscess. I'm just wondering how quickly she will need antibiotics before sepsis/septic shock develops? She's still eating plenty and purring/being affectionate, just her usual self.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you post a picture of what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is the best I could get. I think the swelling is going down but I can see any ooze from the wound.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Good job on the picture. That area looks very suspect for an abscess that has started to drain. The good news is that there isn't a big worry for something like sepsis / septic shock from this. Typically they are persistent problems at that location until they are treated. She is eating well and being affectionate, so while it is definitely a problem that needs addressed, it shouldn't progress until you get her seen. That local area most likely will get a little more worse looking with the discharge but that is most likely it. At the vet's office, they will clip that area and then most likely flush the pocket and then start her on antibiotics. Try to get her into your vet as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's great thank you very much. I was sure it was an abscess especially tonight when the wound appeared. I was just worried about infection and because it's the weekend I doubt I'll get her to the vet until Monday but I'll try for sooner. What is likely to have caused it? Another cat, fighting? Or just idiopathic, something that might now be recurring?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

The most likely cause is another cat biting her in that area. If she has access to outdoors, then she most likely got into a skirmish with another cat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's what I thought...she has a sister and sometimes they play rough, possibly could have been her. Thanks so much for your help, I've been worrying for hours!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

If her and her sister play rough, then I would be curious that was the cause of it. This should heal with the treatment your vet gets going and it shouldn't be recurrent (unless the rough play gets this rough again).