Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has started to eat garden slugs will this do him any

Customer Question

My cat has started to eat garden slugs will this do him any damage he is 8 years old a toxicology bread
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. The slugs themselves are not poisonous, but there are still some potential dangers to be concerned about. The mucus they produce can cause oral and gastrointestinal irritation. If the slug had been exposed to slug bait, that can be extremely poisonous if ingested by Charlie. Lastly, slugs can carry other parasites, such as lung worms. So, it would be better to keep your cat away from the area. That will be very hard to do, though, unless you keep him inside. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Charlie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.