Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We have a 7 year old oriental tabby Echo, he tries to mount

We have a 7 year old oriental tabby Echo, he tries to mount our siamese ,Bailey, they are both male and have been to our local vet who just doesn't understand that its a problem, it is happening everyday and it is quite distressing for Bailey and for us
we are at our wits end on what else to do, they have both been dressed
Could you give us any advise on what to do solve this problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about Echo bothering Bailey in this way. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Does he just mount him, get on top of him, or is he acting as if he is trying to copulate (pelvic thrusts, penis out)?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I assume both cats are neutered.

The first thing I would do is to look for some physical problem with Echo. In addition to a complete physical examination, I would check his anal glands, and do a urinalysis.

Does anyone in the house use a topical hormone ointment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His penis is out , he is holding him down
what is a topical hormone ointment?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am very sorry but I can't make calls for the website. That offer did not come from me.

Sometimes hormone ointments are prescribed for people for "low T" and menopause. When these ointments are used in people, they sometimes get on their pets and cause hormone increases.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no one uses hormone ointments in the house
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

If no one in the house is on a prescription hormone ointment, then I would start with a check of his anal glands, and a urinalysis. If he has infected or impacted anal glands, or a UTI (urinary tract infection), that can cause inflammation that can lead to this kind of behavior.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Both cats are neutered, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they are both neutered
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

There may be prescription drugs such as Prozac that may stop this unwanted behavior, but I would first rule out UTI, anal gland problems, etc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he also has a problem when he goes to poop,, he only goes every 2- 3 days, 6o% solid and 40% diahorrea, he usually poops outside his tray , the vet had done an x ray to check his intestine and everything was okay, he has a really good appetite
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

This pooping problem may be related to his mounting behavior. He may have inflammatory bowel disease (an Xray won't show this).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When he does poop there is a really strong odour and he can return to his tray with a bit of diahorrea and mucus, is this all related?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

It could be. I would try to find and treat the cause of the diarrhea and see if it helps with the other problem. This might mean a course of antibiotics, a diet change, steroids to reduce inflammation in his intestines, B12 injections.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A year ago the vet suggested changing his diet to dry food he wouldn't eat it so he now gets fresh chicken and some dried treats there is no difference the problem is still the same
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

If he is allergic to chicken, that might be the problem. If he has inflammatory bowel disease, a diet change may not help; he would need prescription medication.

There are just so many things that cause cats to have diarrhea, and the treatment is different depending on the cause. I would start with things like examining a stool sample microscopically, considering an abdominal ultrasound, doing blood tests to check liver and pancreas function.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the last 6 months its been purely chicken and this problem occured even when he did eat some wet cat food, he did sometimes poop on our bed but what has stopped and now he does go to his tray even though he misses!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

A diet change does not always help with diarrhea/colitis. He may need prescription medication.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your advise, we have learnt so much from you, now we can go forward and get this problem sorted.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome! Please let me know how he is doing.