Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our male 3 year old Ragdoll cat has had a slimy film

Our male 3 year old Ragdoll cat has had a slimy film surrounding his poo for the past couple of days. The poo happens daily at the same time in the evening in the litterbox. We have not noticed any change in our cats behaviour when defecating. The poo has colourless mucus that surrounds part of the feces and the slime/ mucus strethes when pulled apart. The feces itself has shape, but is soft and loses its shape when picked up. It looks like it has a very shiny surface- yesterday it looked almost as if it had a very slight green tinge to parts of it. Our cat continues to eat and drink normally and seems happy. We have had a kitten stay with us for 4 days about 11 days ago who had diarrhea but that was put down to being a quick change in diet. Our cat smelled the kitten's litterbox and investigated it. Our cat developed his issue 4 days after the kitten had left which was otherwise healthy. I also wish to notice that we have had lots of fireworks happening and our cat has been extremely afraid of them. He was due his worming tablet in September which has not yet been given since. I'd very grateful for a response. We do have an appointment with our vet tomorrow but I'm very concerned. I also have a picture of the poo.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It sounds like you are seeing mucus around his feces. That is usually due to inflammation in the colon (colitis). Sometimes you may even see blood, painful defecation, multiple attempts to defecate and urge to defecate often. The severity can range from very mild to severe symptoms. Stress is a common cause of this, as is something they ingested, intestinal parasites and IBS; to name a few. If he is acting normal otherwise, I would at least have your vet run a fecal exam to look for any parasites. He would probably benefit from adding some fiber into the diet. A teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin with each meal usually suffices. Your vet may want to put him on a short course of metronidazole to clear this up. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much. May I please kindly ask you to review the attached file? Does this seem as something that you would categorise as being very malicious? I.e cancer or similarly life threatening conditions that could not be treated with a course of antibiotics?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. That is very unlikely to be something life threatening. Most likely it is just an isolated case of colitis. If it continues to occur, then you need to start looking at problems like irritable bowel syndrome. I would expect antibiotics to clear that up. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is great; thank you very much! I will ask our vet to undertake a fecal test tomorrow. Thank you again! This will let me sleep!
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any other concerns.