DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs Experience. Int. Med, Emerg, Ultrasound, General Practice
20798050

I recently adopted two cats from an animal shelter where

Customer Question

I recently adopted two cats from an animal shelter where they had been for approx 5 years. Both I believe are just over 5 years old. The male has had an upset stomach with the passing of some blood since he has been with me. I thought that this might have been nerves at the beginning but it seems a long time. I have tried to get him to a vet however I cannot get him into a cage so wondered if there was anything I could get to potentially help until he isn’t so scared of going into a carrier.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 month ago.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

How long has the blood been in the stool?

Paul

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
On and off since he arrived. It is not everyday.
I am trying him on grain free food in case something is irritating his system at the moment.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 month ago.

Good idea on the diet!

I would also add 1tsp of canned pumpkin to the food.

This is a good source of soluble fiber and will really help with the colitis.

I dont think we need to start any medication at this point but if he stops eating or becomes depressed or lethargic then we will want to try and get him in to that carrier so he can be examined.

Please update me tomorrow AM

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid

Paul

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Paul
His stool tonight is a bit better, still not fully formed but not as loose as it has been so am hoping that the diet is starting to take effect but know this may take a few days / weeks. I will try the canned pumpkin that is a great tip thank you. He seems his usual self, cleaning and following me around so not lethargic at all.
Max
Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 month ago.

Great and thanks!