Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat had a fight a few days ago and smells fishy, is this

Customer Question

My cat had a fight a few days ago and smells fishy, is this sign of an infection?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 30 days ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

The answer is maybe. If she is developing an infection at any of the areas she was bitten/scratched it can sometimes have an odor which some interpret as fishy. You want to do a good once-over to look for areas of swelling or discharge and if seen this indicates she needs to be examined right away by a veterinarian to have this cared for (an antibiotic is usually needed). Otherwise, she may have expressed her anal sacs during the fight and has a residual odor. This is the most common source of a fishy smell.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.