Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

She is eating fine and has been sneezing. She has a problem

she is eating fine and has been sneezing. She has a problem with her left eye, her eyes are watering. I have Ronaxan in the cupboard. Because last time she was at the vet they suspected this and that it cost me £106 for them to tell me she had no diseases. But she has had conjuntivites before. Don't know if this has flared up again. She is keeping her eye clean with her paw, should I bathe it with mild salt water
Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and she is 7
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: Not that I can think of she is very healthy.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing and conjunctivitis you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline (Ronaxan) - to address those bacteria. Dosing is 5 mg/kg twice daily but dry pilling risks esophageal ulceration and stricture. You'll need to follow a pill with 5 mL (1 measuring teaspoon) of water or tuna juice to make sure the pill has passed through her esophagus. The ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. I believe that that product is a prescription drug where you live, however. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.
As long as Lucy continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of her sneezing and connunctivitis, she doesn't need to be attended to by her vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One more question please if you do not mind. Since she has cleaned her eye with her paw she can open her eye now. It very cold here in England at present so I do not know if she has a mild form of a cold, just like we humans get. I will monitor her and if the symptoms persist after 10 days I have Ronaxan in 20mg dose, should I treat her with just one a day and as you say make sure she has water to make it go through her system and not get lodged in her throat to cause damage?

Cats don't suffer from cold viruses as we do but the feline herpesvirus is certainly common. Yes, you can treat with Ronaxan just once daily but at 10 mg/kg. Follow up with water or a tasty fluid! Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.