Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have mistakenly put dog flea treatment on my cat it

I have mistakenly put dog flea treatment on my cat it contains 400mg imidacloprid and 4 mg butylhydroxytoluene. We have cut as much of the fur with it on off of him as we can and washed as much as we can off. Will he be ok?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Most likely, yes. Imidacloprid has a wide range of safety and most problem are seen following oral dosing of topical products which can cause hypersalivation, vomiting, lethargy, and hiding in cats. Your care was exemplary and it's likely that you won't see any adverse effects at all. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.