Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Please can you help. My cat is allergic to flees so I try

HiPlease can you help. My cat is allergic to flees so I try and keep him treated as he pulls his fur out and makes himself bleed. He’s has been really bad as he has had a new cat move in and although he has had his usual treatment he has bitten his leg so badly he has made a big hole in it. Due to the snow I can’t get him to the vet and am really worried as his normal treatment is not helping.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Toffee, please? Which of the flea treatments are you using? Can you upload a photo(s) of this "big hole" to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi yes I still need some help please. I have given toffee Johnson’s 4 flees 11.4mg. This is toffees leg. He is walking and jumping on it but he won’t leave it alone. He’s not holding it all either. But is getting worse when he’s licking it.

The Johnson's product contains nitenpyram which is an excellent and rapid flea killer. You can dose daily if need be. You must also treat your premises with a product such as Siphotrol Area Treatment spray which contains the insect growth regulator (IGR) methoprene which doesn't allow flea eggs and larvae from developing into adult fleas thus breaking up the life cycle of the flea. These sprays are more effective than foggers because you can spray under furniture and in crevices where foggers can't reach.

The pic doesn't appear to be flea-related but, instead, could represent a skin cancer or, less commonly, a larval exit hole of the Cuterebra fly larva if you live in the country near rabbit runs and rodent burrows where these flies lay their eggs. Hatched larvae crawl into the fur of a mammalian host, enter the host through a natural body opening, and migrate to a subcutaneous site. If this is the case, the larva is long gone and the skin lesion will take quite a few weeks to heal. A skin cancer, however, will need to be surgically removed.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.