Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I came home to my cat (4 Years) very distressed. She visited

Hi, I came home to my cat (4 Years) very distressed. She visited her tray but produced nothing other a small dribble of wee. She wouldn’t let me near her which is unusual as we normally have a good fuss when I come home.We also discovered a small wet patch on our bed which contained 2 blood clots.She has now had a good wee and settled back to her old self - should we make a visit to the vets or just watch & wait?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

To see straining to pass small volumes of urine and blood clots does raise some concerns. At her age a bladder infection is the most common culprit but we can also see bladder stones, urine crystal issues, and stress cystitis appear similarly. We can also see similar signs with painful anal gland (the hiding, straining, avoiding) but the urination signs make that less likely.

Anyway, at this stage, if she is comfortable now, has had a large wee and hopefully is not distressed/avoiding you as before, we can monitor. But if we were to see any more of those signs or any more blood then we'd want to have her checked by her local vet for the above. Ideally we'd want them to palpate her bladder but also test a urine sample. If infection is confirmed then antibiotics can nip that in the bud. If they feel she has bladder inflammation from any of those other concerns then kitty safe pain relief (Metacam) can be used to just ensure we nip this in the bud for her.

And just as its the weekend, I do want to note that if you were to see a relapse of signs, some vets in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most practices have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are closed. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get in today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on contacting their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet, you can find a local one via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get this checked out at any point in the weekend there will be options for that.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**