Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has been diagnosed rate blood disease which attack’s

My cat has been diagnosed rate blood disease which attack’s immune system and since also saturated hepatitis (jaundiced) been on drip for 8 days with medication. Not eating and having to be fed through syringe. I feel we need hospital care what is your suggestion?

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

So where is Michi at now?

If on intravenous fluids, is he not already hospitalized?

Do you know what medications he is on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My cat is at our local vet on a drip steroids for rare blood disorder that attack’s immune system and is jaundiced on antibiotics ( csn’t Remember them) for saturated hepatitis. His abdomen is very swollen and do far in 8 days is not improving but also not getting worse. Is not eating so having to be fed by syringe little and often. I am told that in the next 48 hours if he doesn’t respond may need to be referred to specialist hospital care. I have already spent considerable money but fear that although he is not getting worse will he improve and am told he is very sick and these two conditions clash. What do you think are his chances of survival as I feel in limbo for last 10 days and no more wiser as to next stage... he has list slot of weight but continues to be very swollen around the abdomen area. Your advice / recommendation at this stage would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would prefer at this stage a written response thank you

Thanks for the information. I am very concerned that he hasn't made a turn around in 8 days while hospitalized. Based on that and not really dealing with the case myself, I would say his condition is guarded to poor for survival. At this point, if he is to have a chance, I would see if you can get him to a specialist sooner than the next 48 hours; preferably today if you can. He may benefit better from a feeding tube. They can get more nutrition into him. It is hard to get the right amount of nutrition into them with syringe feeding, plus it just causes food aversion. If he hasn't had an x-ray and ultrasound of the abdomen, he definitely needs that as well. I feel that on the course he is on right now, he will not make it. Usually they start to show a turn around on day 3 or 4 if the prognosis is going to be good. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. He is not hospitalised he is at our local veterinary surgery. On antibiotics / fluids on a drip. I will tomorrow ask to be referred. I am told the reason he had not responded so far is that the two conditions clash. Hence why steroids were stopped but will now be stepped up tonight. do you not feel that I should persevere with specialised advice in the hope that they may be able to do a biopsy on his liver? Or can liver failure be the end...?

You are welcome. I think that a biopsy of the liver is a good idea, but I would do with via ultrasound and have his blood clotting factors checked (they are made in the liver) to make sure he doesn't bleed excessively from it. Liver failure can be the end, but I think here is still some chance of him pulling through, which is why I would get to specialist sooner than later. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I will tomorrow get him referred.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have other concerns.