Richard, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of Cell Phones
32989067

My Kindle has frozen reason. Not been dropped or exposed

My Kindle has frozen for no reason. Not been dropped or exposed to water etc and I cannot currently switch it back on
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the Kindle.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure how that can work because the power button (if I understand it correctly) is the slider at the bottom which is permanently off in that you have to slide it to the right to switch it on. It is an older model

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Correct, you slide and hold it for 35 seconds please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no good. The screen has some faint grey lines on it a bit like Etch A Sketch

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Chris, it confirms the problem
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard restart it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to replace the Kindle. The warranty was only a year and this will have expired. This cannot be repaired as the cost would exceed the value of a replacement Kindle.
But your books are safe, and when you get your replacement Kindle, the books will automatically be on the new one as they are linked to your Amazon account.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.