Sijad H.
Sijad H., Cell Phone Technician
Experience:  Experienced in technical repair, troubleshooting and software related issues with various types of cellphones.
61965098

My daughter has tried to update her iPhone via my computer

My daughter has tried to update her iPhone via my computer but it is getting an error message. I can't retore it to factory settings as she hasn't backed up her data. What should I do?
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Sijad H. : Hi and thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. What is the error you are receiving? Did she have iCloud enabled on her iPhone?
Customer:

Thank you. It did not give an error code. I don't know whether she had icloud enabled on her phone as she runs it independently although using my apple id account. I think she must have some sort of icloud connection sbecuase I buy the music on my phone and it can be downloaded onto hers.

Sijad H. : I understand. What happens when you try and do a factory restore?
Customer:

I am afraid to do that as I think she will lose all of her contacts and photos. We are not worried about the music.

Sijad H. : Ok. Go too www.icloud.com and login with your Apple ID. On there, you should be able to see if the contacts on her phone are backed up and isee if she has a backup on the iCloud.
Customer:

ok. I'll do that now.

Sijad H. : Also do you have a windows computer or Apple computer?
Customer:

I have just done this and it is only my contacts and not hers that are on the icloud

Sijad H. : Ok then I am afraid her contacts are not backed up. Unless she has a different iCloud account that she uses.
Sijad H. : What is displayed on the phone when you try and turn it on?
Customer:

There is no other icloud account. When you turn on the phone it displays the apple logo and a usb cable telling you to connect to itunes

Sijad H. : Ok. In iTunes, go to preferences and then click devices. That should display all the back ups and see if she has one. If she connected to your computer there's a chance it made an automatic back up.
Customer:

Ok I will do that now

Customer:

Her device is not listed

Sijad H. : Ok. I am sorry but her contacts may be lost at this point. There is a third party application that can pull her contacts from her phone while it is in recovery mode. You can find it at www.easeus.com they have a trial version that can probably get the job done.
Customer:

OK I will try that

Sijad H. : Another one is called Fonepaw, found at www.fonepaw.com they also have a trial version of the program that may be able to get the job done.