Richard, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of Cell Phones
32989067

I had an Apple iPhone 5 on contract with t mobile. Approximately

Customer Question

I had an Apple iPhone 5 on contract with t mobile. Approximately 7 weeks ago it started constantly losing reception, both 3G and network as regularly as 3 times a minute.
I thought it was a problem with the phone!
I then bought an iPhone 6 plus and got a new sim with EE about 3 weeks ago keeping the same number. The same problem transferred to this phone and sim.
I've done network resets, switched on data roaming and sim swaps to other phones and the problem was not resolved via any of this!
I then left EE and today my number has transferred to the 3 network!
Guess what, my problem is still there!
What the hell is going on with my number?
I can't make calls or if I do, they disconnect.
My phone constantly disconnects and searches for the network!
Help!!!!!
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you change the category from law to tech support?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This has been done, sorry about the delay
To check, this problem has happened on multiple networks and phones correct?
Also with multiple different SIM cards?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the only cause then is location.
Either you are receiving very high interference where you are, or the Cell Phone tower in your location has the issue.
If you have had the problems with
multiple phones
multiple carriers
multiple sim cards
unless you had a very bad coincidence of two bad phones or sim cards, this can be the only reason left for this.
What happens if you go to another location?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens all over London, in Cambridge! Anywhere I go!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then there looks to be an issue with your number and its registration, only cause left as this is the only common denominator.
Put someone elses sim into your phone, do they get the problem on your phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did a sim swap a few weeks ago with an EE employee. No issues on my phone but my sim in hers wouldn't work.
Also, when I bought my 3 contract, I had the new number on it from Saturday until Tuesday. There were no issues!
When my old number transferred over on Tuesday, the problems continue.
I've had this number for 10 years+. Must be configuration.
How do I get this sorted.
I have business cards with this number and too many people have it to be able to dish out a new one!
What do you suggest?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, its corrupted in the system and if you have been through multiple carriers then getting it resolve is not possible. A router or modem somewhere on the network has this corrupted and finding which (or even anyone to look) will be impossible.
It likley will fix itself once this is restarted, the problem is you never know when this is going to happen but usually they are once a month.
What I suggest is get a pre paid SIM card, and forwards all calls fro your normal number to this so you miss no calls.
Then once a week check and see if you still have the problem. It will eventually go away it is just a question of when and that is impossible to know as we do not know the component that is causing it (not could we find out)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened 7 weeks ago. Been going on nearly 2 months.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it looks to take some more time, just from my experience routers were restarted on general once a month, but that all depends on the company managing the router that has the issue with your number.
I can only give you an approximate on the time frame as this is out of my control. But the forwarding of the number to another sim will allow you to resume working. Or have 3 network provide a new number and permanently forward this old one to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it will eventually be rectified or a chance that it will never be rectified?
People are telling me they can trace the server!?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You only chance is to either have 3 find the problem device and resolve it (will be a restart) or get them to give a new number and permanently forward the old number to this.
I would go to 3 with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't that what happens when you get a puk code? The new number on the sim is replaced by the old number?
If so, that didn't work this week!
Could they set up another account and transfer my number onto that? Get rid of the old configuration or something?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, a PUK Code is just a secondary Pin number, nothing to do with your actual phone number.
The number is ***** account, this is why the number has changed.
Its like an email account, if you want a new email account you need to get a new email address