Eric
Eric, Android Expert
Experience:  3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself
57442719

My HTC Desire C phone is failing to power up. It just

Customer Question

my HTC Desire C phone is failing to power up. It just stopped dead. The screen was cracked prior to occurrance. Whilst it is a cheap phone I have a lot of important info stored on it, particularly voice memos (dictaphone type info) and some phone stored contacts (not on SIM) so it is valuable from that perspective.
Would you know of a way that the info could be extracted from the phone regardless of it been able to power up again?
Kind Regards,
Declan
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
It's unlikely that you would be able to recover any information if the phone won't power up because in order to even connect it to a PC and treat it like a flash drive, it needs to be powered up. Have you tried charging it with different charging cables? Sometimes on portable devices if the battery is completely flat they won't power up, even if they're plugged in. This can happen if they're left to sit for weeks or months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wes,

re your "different cables" query: on the day in question i.e. when the phone went dead, The phone was been constantly used so hadn't been left to sit for any duration. I didn't notice that the battery was indicating a "running low" status up to the power failure time (having said that this is only indicated by the common, to many phones, small battery icon in the top RHS of screen turning red or similar colour. Although I would usually notice it's colour change). I then tried to recharge it with the charger I always use but no joy. Following that failure I bought a new battery and it failed to power the phone when installed directly from the new battery's packaging. So I then tried charging it with the same charger I have been using all along - failed to charge. I'll see if I can borrow another charger to rule it out and get back to you. To your other comment re treating like a flash drive would there be a way that the battery circuit could be 'bypassed' to power the flash drive by way of opening up the phone to main board level by a technician with that type of level of expertise?

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible? Maybe. However my suspicion is that a critical component in the phone failed and it is electrically inoperable.
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Meaning even if the battery circuit was bypassed it still wouldn't work. I don't know the feasibility of removing the flash memory, given someone with enough expertise that might be a possibility. If you are aware of any data recovery companies you could check with them and see if they are capable of doing it. I know some data recovery companies can do recoveries of flash memory cards, sticks, etc... I don't know if they would be able to do a phone however.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Wes,

would you have the names of a couple of data recovery companies. I might yet check it out as a Plan B. Looking to purchase a universal recharger in the coming days to see if it was the charger and not the battery that failed.

Declan