Richard, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of Cell Phones
32989067

I have lost a windows phone/lost and seriously worried about

I have lost a windows phone/lost and seriously worried about it being in the wrong hands. I have tried to erase it through my Hotmail settings but it just keeps saying try again later. I have recovered the phone details on to my new phone with the back up. I have deleted my browsing history and saved passwords (I think some of this was from old phone but not sure), will this work or is there more I can do. Is there enough I can do to make it that nothing can be retrieved from it? It has a smashed screen but person may use software to look at it, they are well in the know. Phone has no sim in it. Thanks for any help.
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The main thing to do is to change your Hotmail Password, which will stop any further access to the phone as it will then lock it and the person who found it will have to reset the phone in order to use it (so then all your data is wiped and its returned to new).
Can you tell me if you have changed the password ***** know how to please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have changed the Hotmail password ***** then yes I had to sign into my email account again on present phone but things like browsing history etc are still there on present phone so surely they will be on the other phone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS its in the hands of someone who has a lot of software/technical equipment and prizes himself on being able to achieve these things so it needs to be done really well
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, this is the first step.
Now, if your phone is able to be remote wiped then on your computer, open a web browser, go to http://windowsphone.com, and sign in using the same Windows Live ID you use on your phone.
Click Find My Phone, and then click Erase.
On the confirmation screen, to start erasing your phone, click the Yes check box, and then click Erase.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You obviously didn't read my question well enough. I have tried this many times and it just says unable to find phone, try again later
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the phone I am wanting to erase does not have a sim in it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have selected the option this phone has no number, same thing happens
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I read it, it is not sone via Hotmail settings, so not sure what you are referring to there, which is why I have given the correct instructions to do this, IF it can be done for your phone.
If it cannot find your phone, it means it has already been reset, as it cannot detect the user name on it anymore.
It needs no sim card for this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could it not be that the phone is off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Obviously I have reloaded/synched to my new phone does this mean it would automatically reset the old phone?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, as it sends the erase signal to the phone so the next time its powered on it gets the command and erases, its the whole point for it.
But the phones been detected with a different username which is why it will not allow it, as there is no phone to erase being that it has already been done.
They will have done this to make the phone their own, as when you change the password ***** also locks the phone.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I am going to be honest here, its the police who have taken the old phone, They say its so they have better evidence for CPS to be able to see texts from my harasser but the Sergeant involved has it in for my son, he thinks he is the perpetrator. He has been set up with some content of texts etc. He isn't Ican assure you. But there is some browsing history and whatts app messages that are not favourable and I wish for them not to find them when they access the phone with their software. It will have to be software as the screen is broken
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its nothing dreadful that is on there but this sergent is horrible. Also I obviously have the texts back on my new phone anyway after it was synched so it was all a lie to take the old one
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
They wont be able to access it via computer as the phone is locked when its off. So they would have to wipe it first which wipes the data.
But if the remote wipe is not working, it means the phone is already wiped.
Likely they did that when trying to access it.
But all you can do is change your password ***** then remotely wipe it. There are no other options without physical access to the phone. But from what you have described, all things point to the phone being wiped.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im pretty sure they haven't accessed it yet as only went away a couple of days ago. So how would this have happened?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, how would what happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wipe?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually before I gave it them I tried to download some photos retrieve things etc on to my computer. Could it have happened then? I have just remembered that I did this sorry. There was one particular photo I wanted to save
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Via hardware keys, or a program they tried to install to access the data.
Or the phone faulted, especially if the screen is not working as you said.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
as I said as yet I would not of thought that the police have looked at the phone, its too soon, it usually takes a couple of weeks with non urgent stuff
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok on my list of devices there is also a phone that is still in my house but is water damaged it doesn't let me find this or erase it either but I know it can be switched on and for example my texts etc are there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you wish extra payment I can pay. But I need to be absolutely sure that nothing can be retrieved from the smashed phone. So the better the detail the better for me
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I am not sure what your now asking me sorry.
OI do not know how the police operate... or how long they take to access evidence ect...
I can only tell you the only two ways to secure and wipe the phone and the reasons why this would not work.
And from what you described, it appears to have been wiped.
With no physical access to the phone, there is nothing more you can do.
And if the screen does not work they cannot access the data anyway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But I was able to access some data by plugging into my computer and I am no expert. Surely there software will be better
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Only what is stored on the memory card, not the internal memory, its the whole point of the security for their data.
Yeah, if they send it off to the experts, then they can access it if its still there, but thats a lot of time and effort on their behalf.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is exactly what they are doing, Right. So now I think you are understanding. So what can be gained from the memory of the phone. Can they get browsing history? Whats app history? see deleted messages etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The browsing history is particularly important
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If it is not wiped, they can access the data, if it is wiped, then they cannot.
The two methods to lock the phone are to change the password ***** remotley reset it.
As it says it cannot contact the phone this usually means it has been wiped.
Regardless, there the only two ways to secure the phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And there is no way to be perfectly sure wether it has been wiped? Like I said before I did try to retrieve everything off the phone a week or so before the police had it. I only managed to retrieve some music and photos. But would this have interfered with the memory of the phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And again can you be specific about what data can be retrieved, full browsing history or not?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, not without access to the phone can you be sure its been wiped.
Coping data from the phone will not have interfered with the memory of it. You where just copying files from it. It has no impact on erasing it.
With the right expert ALL data can be retrieved, including history
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So in the internal memory there is evidence of web browsing history?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are there levels of investigation they can ask for? So for example a less thorough investigation of the phone that may not throw up everything. Are there any laws protecting the data from being used?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes the internal memory, but I do not know how the police work, so cannot answer how they perform their investigations.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anybody on here that does?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Potentially lawyers may know about police procedures, you would need to post a question asking this and see if a lawyer picks this up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks