Thomas, Technician
Experience:  Ready to assist with your Cellular devices
62924203

I am travelling abroad to Europe and have an iphone 5s. What

I am travelling abroad to Europe and have an iphone 5s. What do I need to do to turn off roaming so I do not have unexpected charges on my phone?
I want to still be able to use wifi in my hotel so what do I need to do when I am in a wifi spot and want to check emails etc?
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi!Go to Settings->Cellular, turn Data Roaming to OFF. You can also turn Cellular Data to Off for good measure. This won't effect WIFI connectivity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that's great, thanks. I'm not very technical so please forgive my simple questions.

So if I click on Gmail app or any app when the Roaming is OFF, does that mean it won't pick up new emails etc?

Is Roaming when all apps automatically update new info so by turning off, nothing is updated but it also means nothing works? So no new emails etc?

So I won't be able to use Google maps etc? Is that right?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. Of course you can turn it on in an emergency, but Turning off roaming will sever any connection other than if you're connected to WIFI. For maps I would suggest an offline gps map, such as CoPilot GPS, Navmii, Sygic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much, you've been really helpful. Finally do i need to turn off my Bluetooth too?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Bluetooth is considered PAN (personal area network) and doesn't interface with any cell tower, and only has about a 30 foot range from the phone. So no don't turn it off, you can use any bluetooth device you want.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** just gone into Mobile Data to turn off Data Roaming. There is also 'Mobile Data' - is this what you mean by Cellular Data?

Thanks again.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have heard of people who claim to have had roaming turned off and still got roaming charges. Maybe they had it off, maybe they didn't, but you can turn off all mobile data just to be safe. Also keep in mind that even making phone calls will make roaming charges: it isn't just data. If you can make WIFI calls through an app such as Skype, it will save you all the more money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's very helpful thank you.

Is WhatsApp free abroad to send text messages or for calls?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely, as long as you're connected to WIFI.