ITPeter
ITPeter,
30970729

Why are received email vanishing off my BlackBerry Classic

why are received email vanishing off my BlackBerry Classic 10? All the sent emails remain, the received emails disappear within about 2 hours.
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rod,This can happen if you are also accessing the emails on a different computer - if you are using POP protocol on another computer or device, the emails will be downloaded to that device, so will disappear from the email server and also from your BlackBerry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This could well be true, although no settings have knowingly been changed, and this suddenly has started to happen. But I have just checked the server and you are right, they have gone from there too. So how do I find this on the other device? I am wondering if it is to do with the laptop I am writing to you on. I have Outlook running but it also has the Windows 8 "Mail", which I never use. Would one of those be causing this?
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
If you have the email account connected to Outlook, then it may not be set up correctly.I can take a look remotely if you wish?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should be straightforward, point me in the right direction
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
First, access the email account settings in Outlook and check if they are set up for POP or IMAP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
POP/SMP
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then you need to change it to IMAP!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
incoming email server is imap.tiscali instead of pop.? outgoing remains smtp? anything else to change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add that I have used POP3 settings on this laptop and it's predecessor for 8 years and this has never mattered before.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
You may need to update the port number setting - you can see the correct port information when you expand the "@tiscali" option available at: http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email-settings-imap-pop3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all settings are correct. I notice that they are recommending IMAP and give the settings but say I will lose my emails by making that change. Emails in my in-box now will go? When I go to my PC tomorrow I will need to re-send all the emails which have been lost on the server from this laptop so cannot risk losing them off here.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Any POP emails that have been downloaded to the laptop may go, so back them up first if they are important.However emails still on the server and on your phone will not go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice, but nothing you have said explains why this suddenly has happened. Curiously nothing has self-deleted since we started this conversation so maybe without doing anything you suggest it might have cured itself. Now neither of us know why. Guess that is the end of this discussion as you have not offered any answer as to why it changed. IMAP could well be a good suggestion but I have never used it. I work on a BlackBerry and Laptop all the time when away from my office 60-80 emails a day during the week. Why did it suddenly go wrong?
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
It could be that a setting on the Tiscali servers changed - perhaps they were configured NOT to delete POP emails, then they started doing so, and now they have stopped again... without you actually contacting them or doing anything. I have seen this happen with other email providers in the past.The best and safest way to access your emails is through IMAP to prevent them unintentionally getting deleted and lost.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
If there is nothing else, please don't forget to rate my help, it is how the site rewards me for my time...Enjoy the rest of your weekend!Pete.