Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Microphone on Toshiba Satellite Pro U400-23X not working.

Customer Question

microphone on Toshiba Satellite Pro U400-23X not working. I can hear other party, but they cannot hear me.
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,What program is this happening with? (eg. Skype)Have you tried using the recording app to record your voice? Does it work?Let me know if you would like remote assistance to resolve this...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are right: the problem is with Skype. I have tried the self test recording device that Skype offers and it still does not work. I have also checked their other suggestions using device manager, but I can find nothing amiss. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found out that I can make myself heard by the other party on Skype by attaching an external headset microphone. I can now hear the other party from the computer, but not the headset speakers. I can so a self test with Skype and can get a recording of what I have spoken into the headset microphone. Does this indicate to you that the internal microphone is broken, even though it says it is functioning OK?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can test the built-in mic using a recording app on the computer.Most computers should have a built-in app or program for this.If you are unable to find it, let me know what operating system you are using.Alternatively, I can assist remotely.Pete.