Richard, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of Cell Phones
32989067

I live in Spain but bought my Lumia 550 from the Carphone

I live in Spain but bought my Lumia 550 from the Carphone Warehouse in the UK this March. Having worked just fine, recently 1. The battery is only lasting half a day, from 2 to 3 days 2. Messages and Whatsapp no longer appear on the screen to inform me they have just arrived 3. The phone no longer makes a sound or vibrates when messages arrive. I would prefer a written response to my email***@******.***
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please what you have already done to try to resolve this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Firstly, I'm not mobile savvy! However I have tried the following for the battery:
1. Switched on Battery Saver
2. Switched off Blue Tooth
3. Reduced Lock Screen to 30 secs
4. Reduced brightness
5. Wifi is still on - should it be off?
As for the lack of notification, lack of beep and lack of vibration of arriving messages on SMS and Whatsapp:
1. Notifications - 3 'ons'
2. Gadget On
3. Glance Screen On
4. Message On
5. Outlook Mail On
6. Whatsapp On
7. Windows Feedback On
Would a new battery solve all these problems? I have not ticked the 'Securely connect' button, as I am in Spain and don't know if you can be connected.
Many thanks, Jane ******
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just had to put the Battery Saver off, as my phone told me I couldn't access Whatsapp with the Battery Saver on. Also the problem with the battery has been going on for about 2 weeks now, whereas the problem with the notifications has only been happening this last week.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The issue is either the battery or the firmware. To confirm which, we will need to reinstall the phone.

this will remove all data from it and return it to new, but we cannot avoid this.

To do the reset

1. Start by turning on the phone using the Power button.
  2. Then go to the Main Menu, find and select Windows Phone Settings.
  3. In the next step tap About.
  4. Afterwards tap Reset your phone to confirm.
  5. Success! The device is ready to use.

Set it up and tell me please how the battery now functions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am quite happy to do as you ask, but how to I save all my telephone numbers and Whatsapp contacts before I reset the phone or is it just a matter of writing them all down and re-entering them all again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

They should be saved online, if you sign in at www.outlook.com and sign in with the same account as on the phone, then click on the 9 dots, top left the people, do you see the contacts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found them, thank you so much! I will now try to reset the phone, as instructed, but how do I re-transfer the numbers on the email account back onto the phone? Sorry, but I'm not good at all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Its automatic, when you set up the phone, you put in your email address and it will then synch it for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for all your patience, I will try it this evening when nobody wants to phone and will then rate your help!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and your most welcome!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone reset, all contacts there, but no idea about the battery yet. How do I transfer the Whatsapp from the list of apps to the main menu please? I've tried, but failed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

press and hold the icon until you activate it. choose Pin to Start

Richard, Electronics Engineer
Experience: Avid repairer and trouble shooter of Cell Phones