JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I'm going to Hong Kong for 3 weeks and I don't want to pay

Customer Question

My name is*****'m going to Hong Kong for 3 weeks and I don't want to pay expensive roaming charges. I will just be making calls inside Hong Kong. I have a Huawei Lite9 phone and my plan is with EE. Can I get a sim card in this country to use over there or is it better to get one over there after I arrive. How much would it cost about?
Category: Mobile Phones
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Hi John,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist with your query today.

Its always cheaper to buy sim' in country if you only need to make in-country calls.

For a local sim such as for China Mobile, its about $80HKD which is less than £10, the cost of calls is around $0.10, and that should give you 3G data for best part of a month,.

The only thing you need to check is your Huawei is unlocked, so you can use a non EE sim in it, if not its worth getting it unlocked before you leave, you can do this here.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi James
That sounds like pretty good advice. I used to live in Hong Kong and have some old mobile phones from there. Would the sim from one of those work or do I need a dedicated Huawei sim.
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

You probably find the sim has expired, most operators recycle numbers if the sims are not used after 6-12 months.

A normal sim should fit in the phone, I would suggest you take a phone you know to accept China Mobile (or another well known provider) go to HK, then buy a sim there from the same provider, or failing that just pay to get your current phone unlocked for any provider.

Apprecaite if you can rate the service received.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon John,

For me to receive payment from Just Answer, for assisting you could I ask you please log back into the Just Answer page and rate the service received.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.
Good morning John,For me to receive payment from Just Answer, for assisting you could I ask you please log back into the Just Answer page and rate the service received.Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.RegardsJames
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Good morning John,

James