Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

How do I replace the ignition barrel in a chrysler neon year

Customer Question

How do I replace the ignition barrel in a chrysler neon year of make 2000
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Here is an idea on how to replace the ignition barrel ,the photos are simula to yours .

Remove the steering column cover by removing the screws as shown below.
graphic

Also the steering knee cover will have to be removed .
graphic
Removing the Ignition Switch, use a 10 Torx , remove the ignition switch mounting screw.
Depress the retaining tab in, and pry switch from steering column.
graphic

Now with the ignition swith turned to the ON position press bin the tap and slide out the cylinder
graphic

Hop this has given you an idea of what has to be done ,and if you have any further question regarding this job then please get back to me .

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's looking great so far, do I need to disconnect the battery as I thought I read somewhere about the airbag going off, really know nothing about cars at all and am a complete idiot when it comes to dealing with them!!!

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Melissa .

Yes battery will have to be disconnected before working on the ignition switch.

Turn key to on then disconnect he battery .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Maybe should have mentioned this before but the key won't turn at all in the ignition which is why i have had to order another ignition barrel so I can replace it - it hasn't been working properly for a while and has sometimes taken up to 20 minutes for the key to turn in the ignition but it has completely gone now.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Use WD40 and try and wiggle it to ON just had the same issue with another Dodge and it took 10 mins to get it to turn .

Try this first ,

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi there

Have replaced ignition barrel and the car started 4 or 5 times when turned key but then cut out almost straight away, now engine wont start at all, tried charging battery to see if flat, but made no difference. Any ideas? PLEASE

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Did you keep the old key or replaced the key with the new barrel .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

new barrel so new key

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.

Okay now you will have to get the new key reprogrammed to the system as the new key has a new uncoded chip or none at all if this is ther casr hold the old key next to the new key and try and start as the receiver is around the top of the key barrel .

Greg

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg

Have tried that and not working. Anything I can try?

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Melissa .

You will have to call out the Automotive Locksmith.

Here is the locator site to find one in your area .

Please click here

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Gary

Just wanted to say thank you for all of your help over the last few days, you've been great, have just got back from locksmiths where got new key cut and chip swapped over from old key to new key and the car starts - thank you again, will probably be in touch next time something else goes on car!!!!! That's the only trouble with having an American car, it's so expensive to go to Chrysler for the parts and then when you try to do things yourself you have no idea what to do. Thank you again.

Take care

Melissa

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Melissa .

Thank you for getting back to me .and great that your car is now up and running ,nothing worse than not having wheel under your rear end

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
.

So thank you and wish you happy motoring and if you need anything just ask for Greg / Indy-tech .be more than happy to assist you with what ever issue you may have in the future .

Kindest regards Greg